Each year, the FAAR Public Policy Committee considers issues for inclusion in the Association’s annual Legislative Package. These issues are then sent to the Virginia Realtors for potential inclusion in the statewide legislative agenda for the following year’s General Assembly session. Here are FAAR’s 2019 positions:
- Professionalism Issues: FAAR aims to raise the level of professionalism for licensees throughout the Commonwealth by increasing education and broker supervision.
- Housing Discrimination: FAAR recommends adding sexual orientation and gender identity as protected classes in Virginia.
- Transportation Infrastructure Funding: FAAR advocates reforming the SmartScale funding process, extending the HOT lanes to Massaponax, continuing investments in mass transit, and allowing all jurisdictions, regardless of size, the right to establish a regional transportation authority.
- Proffer Reform: FAAR advocates for easing the communications restrictions on elected officials and staff with builders and developers when negotiating proffers.
- Virginia Real Estate Board Responsiveness: FAAR encourages VREB to add additional staff to process the expanding pool of licensees and expedite agent transfers.