The Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR) regulates the real estate industry in the state of Virginia. Real estate licensees are required to renew their licenses every two years. The renewal process is relatively simple and can be completed online or by mail.
To renew your license online, you will need to:
- Go to the DPOR website and log in to your online account.
- Click on the “Renew License” link.
- Enter your license number and expiration date.
- Pay the renewal fee.
- Complete the continuing education requirements.
To renew your license by mail, you will need to:
- Download the renewal form from the DPOR website.
- Complete the form and mail it to the DPOR address.
- Pay the renewal fee.
- Include a copy of your completed continuing education certificate.
As of 6/1/2023, the renewal fee for real estate licenses in Virginia is $65 for salespersons and $80 for brokers. The continuing education requirements are 16 hours for salespersons and 24 hours for brokers. NOTE: All salespersons renewing their licenses for the first time must complete 30 hours of post-license education (instead of continuing education).
Your license will be renewed for a period of two years. You will receive a renewal notice in the mail approximately two months before your license expires.
If you fail to renew your license before it expires, you will be required to pay a late fee of $50. If you fail to renew your license for more than two years, you will be required to complete the entire licensing process again.
What if my license date has passed?
If your license date has passed, you are not permitted to practice real estate in Virginia. The term “active” refers to your account status at DPOR, not your license status.
For more information on renewing your real estate license in Virginia, please visit the DPOR website.
Here are some additional tips for renewing your real estate license in Virginia:
- Start the renewal process early. The deadline to renew your license is the last day of the month in which it expires.
- Make sure you have completed all of the continuing education requirements. You can find a list of approved courses on the DPOR website.
- Pay the renewal fee online or by mail. You can also pay the fee by credit card over the phone.
- Keep a copy of your renewal certificate. You will need this to show to clients and potential employers.
By following these tips, you can easily and quickly renew your real estate license in Virginia.