One of the most exciting events here at FAAR is New Member Orientation, when FAAR leadership and staff meet with agents starting their real estate career. While many of these agents begin their journey into real estate very shortly before orientation, we recognize that the path to licensure entails awaiting approval from the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation or DPOR. For some, that wait can last several weeks, potentially delaying a smooth launch into the business.
FAAR has made several inquiries with the Virginia REALTORS® on behalf of brokers throughout the region for licenses that seem unduly delayed. Virginia REALTORS®, through their government relations team, has worked tirelessly over the years to build strong relationships with elected officials and government agency staff. Those relationships helped FAAR members directly early in the pandemic when the association quickly worked with the Governor and his administration to deem real estate an essential service. It also helped when licensing times were taking an extended number weeks due to staff shortages caused by the pandemic. Virginia REALTORS® advocated for flexibility on the background check requirements during pending application processing.
While we understand that license application volumes will ebb and flow, we want to ensure that when our brokers are experiencing long wait times for license applications, valuable information is getting to Virginia REALTORS® so they can identify potential problems and check on those individual licenses. In order to quickly and efficiently identify extended wait times and communicate that up to the state, FAAR is establishing a “License Hotline” for brokers to utilize.
- For licenses that have reached 21 business days of review time without being issued, submit information to the FAAR License Hotline.
- Visit faarmembers.com/brokers/ and click on the License Hotline at the top of the page.
- Fill out the form with the broker’s name and contact info, the license applicant name, the license applicant number if available, and the number of days that the license has been waiting for review.
- FAAR will communicate directly with Virginia REALTORS® so that they are aware of issues FAAR brokers are having and can make a specific inquiry with their administration contacts about that individual license.
- FAAR will report back the status of the license or facilitate direct contact from either Virginia REALTORS® or DPOR.